Monday, October 27, 2008

lunch

This short episode is called: Eating lunch with the Cat Lady.

I began to loathe bringing my sack lunch into work everyday. Not because my sack lunch was terrible (because it wasn't) but because my lunch break would often coincide with the break of a weird woman I work with. The Cat Lady. Sitting there in the break room, I would try and eat my lunch as fast as possible before I would be sucked into mind numbing conversation with this person. I'd try bringing books to read, but that would not deter the woman from asking, "Whatcha reading? Oh. That's sounds pretty boring." Ugh. The lady is hard of hearing as well, so you have to practically scream at her in order for her to hear anything.

I didn't want to be bothered, but she would start bring up too much information about her life. Sitting there, concentrating on the syllables of my book, I would have to eat my lunch as fast as I could, and not enjoy it. Or listen to mindless blather. Eventually I would have to put my book down and listen.

Some topics she's talked about:

Health problems ranging from kidney disease to diabetes.

Her weight loss goals.

Why her 35 year old daughter won't move out of her house and get a job.

Her cats.

Her hair (lets put it this way: Picture a helmet made of thick shag carpet).

The list goes on and on...


When I had to deliver something to her office, I was bombarded with photos of her cats. She's since been transferred to another office. I'll miss stealing candy from her jar when she wasn't looking.

No comments: