Wednesday, May 3, 2006

late night

late night tv.

There is nothing like it. Television networks compete for a broader audience and lure viewers with musical groups and special guests. How many networks are there? 3? Does FOX count as a network? They all compete for more viewers, which equates to more money, and a better ability to advertise. And the only way anyone is going to grab my attention is through clever programming and subliminal advertising.

I've always liked David letterman. I've gone through phases of not caring too much for late night talk shows, but I've always liked Dave. I think its his witty gross humor that make him funny. He's always bothering people in NYC and messing with CBS interns. Paul and his band aren't that bad, and compared to other shows, Paul's band has evolved with Dave to become more of a staple to the show. Other late night talk shows have little if any relationship with the house band, with the exception of Conan O'Brien (I'll talk about him later).
so I like Dave's show, big deal. That must make me anti-Leno...

I don't hate Jay Leno. I think he hasn't changed much in the past few years. I can tune in to Leno's show and see the same crap I saw two years ago. His show's format has a few jems that are worth watching. jaywalking consistently proves how stupid Americans are, and the majority of his guests are up to par with whatever these late shows can come up with. If he was funny I'd watch his show, but I don't see the "grab factor" that I get with dave's show. So if I had a choice, I'd watch Dave. But the night is far from over.

The king of late night is Conan O'Brien. I don't care who you are, he rules the television after Leno is over. If I had a choice I would abolish all other talk shows and just have the Conan show. I feel bad for whoever shares the same time slot as conan, because I don't know who they are, and I obviously am not watching their program. Conan has credibility as a writer for other shows and his program is consistently unique and worth watching. His quirky behavior either terrifies his guests, or ads to the madness. His interesting personality is able to grab a wider audience from the polarized Leno/Dave battle. Conan rules.

Everything that comes on after Conan O'Brien is crap. I miss Craig Kilborn. While its true that the Daily Show is now John stewart's masterpiece, it was Kilborn that started it with his smart sarcasm. Even though the late late show wasn't the best show, it was a reason to keep watching television into the early morning. Carson Daly can kiss my butt. His show is a horrible excuse for a waste of time. Daly is one person I wish would be erased from television completely.

I'm tired.

No comments: