Monday, May 15, 2006

hungry

Another long day at work. I guess I just make it hard on myself, arriving early for no reason, and because of technical difficulties leaving an hour late. I went out to eat tonight, and I'm sick of it. I'll be honest, I've been eating out too much. I don't have anything in my kitchen, so I have to go out and find something. I want to go to the grocery store and actually make something good to eat, but I never get around to it. I wish there was something good to eat around here.

I went to school to learn how to cook. Although I dropped out for reasons unknown, I know what to expect when I go out and try and eat something. I'm always looking for a new recipe to try out, and I just like to eat. I'm disappointed I guess. Maybe I'm not eating at the right places, but honest down to earth establishments are hard to come by. I'm not into the big conglomerate franchise-your-face type of place. I like to eat out at independently owned restaurants with unique and consistent food. When my food arrives and I stare down at my plate I want to see something that will excite me, and make me want to enjoy my food. Perhaps people are just used to less so they don't expect as much.

I made dinner for my family the other night, and even though I haven't cooked in a while I thought I did a good job. I made pasta and served it with a homemade simple Alfredo and chicken. Nothing too fancy- just simple good food. I know that something like that is labor intensive and if I went out to a restaurant and ordered something like that it would be expensive. But it was simple.

That's what's missing from most restaurants these days. Simplicity. Plates are overcrowded with food to satisfy our morbidly obese appetites. Refill after refill doesn't do anything to quench thirst. Most restaurants have the same menus that call the food by different descriptions. There's always a side of fries or salad. There's always a chocolate caramel brownie icecream dessert. As we get bigger and bigger food becomes less enjoyable and more of a way to satisfy our constant appetite for something quick and forgettable. What happens then?
chili's sounds pretty good.

I don't want to die.

I just want to eat.

No comments: