Sunday, March 1, 2009

bass update #2

Warning to Nat: just skip this post.

Way too boring.

Bass Guitar Update #2

After a few more passes with the electric sander... I have discovered that the body is made of plywood! Yes.. cheap old plywood. Which is ok, and now that I think about it, about right for a cheap bass guitar made in Indonesia. After a quick search it seems that most of Ibanez's guitars come from that part of the globe anyway. I'll have to check where my other bass was made (Japan? probably not). The 19 or 20 different layers give it a weird rainbow effect... which will work to my advantage once I saw down and reshape the body.

Right now I've just started working on the reshape of the lower horn (not pictured). I'm giving the body a more rounded shape, something similar to a Warwick design. I'm not sure what to do with the upper horn just yet, or how much I really want to remove from the entire body itself. I just don't want a typical p-bass design, you know? Careful sanding and rasping should give me a good idea in the week. After that, I'll go with the wood staining and once all the parts are collected, see if it fits and hook it all up together. If the staining idea doesn't fly, I will probably mask the sides with a dark color that fades into a "burst-like" stain, or other color.

The weather has been nice the past few days. Makes me want to finish working on the Peugeot bike frame I got last year.

No comments: