Wednesday, December 3, 2008

bonus!

Find of finds!

I was driving to school this morning and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a bike frame sticking out of a pile of junk next to the local junk yard. I wasn't too sure what kind of bike it was...(there are a lot of crappy old mountain bikes rotting in junk yards) so I thought I'd give it another pass on the way home from school. Sure enough, there in the pile was an old Peugeot road frame. The front wheel was missing, but everything else seemed to be there, so I liberated it.

Comparing it with other bikes I've seen on the internet, my guess is that its an early or mid 70's Peugeot px-10... or a similar model. It might even be a junior model (because of the weird stem shifters). The frame has no bends or cracks in the welding... The white paint has normal wear for a bike that old, some rusty spots, but it all looks superficial. The cranks and pedals are awesome. Campagnolo components. The rear wheel is true, but the old tire is rotted out. After looking at all the parts, I found that the rear derailleur was broken. Which is too bad, because its a cool old part.
I was thinking of striping down the entire frame and repainting it something else, but looking at all the cool decals on the frame... I'll probably just restore it.
I found a picture online of a similar model:

I don't think I'm going to be able to get this bike up and running anytime soon... I'll probably work on it over the winter months and have it ready by summer next year. Cool find though.

3 comments:

Caleb said...

That's awesome. How much would replacement derailer cost?

Davy J said...

Not so much... But after thinking about it, I probably have the part in my big ol' box of bike parts. I just need to replace the small cog.

I'm not sure if I want to, I was thinking of converting the bike to a single speed. Who knows.

Davy J said...

Further investigation leads me to believe that this bike is a Peugeot UE-8. The weirdness continues... the parts are old and hard to find.