Saturday, December 6, 2008

bike stuff

I'm glad that my love for old rusty bikes has rubbed off on Dan.  His old varsity will clean up nice. In the meantime, today I looked over the Peugeot and took inventory of the good and the ugly. 

The crank looks solid. Closer examination makes me think that the bottom bracket and components are actually USA/British style, not French (which is probably right, since the bike was sold here). I'm not going to mess with the bottom bracket for now... I don't have the right spanner to remove it anyway, and as far as I can tell it works fine. 

Here's the broken rear derailleur. If you look closely you can see that the teeth are broken off of both of the small cogs that run the chain. It's an old Simplex derailleur, and looks kinda cool. 

Stem shifters. Most road bikes have these shifters on the down tube, but on this bike the shifter were up on the stem. I guess that could make shifting a little awkward, and present a dangerous situation should I ever crash.. Those levers could go right into me... you know.. down there. I don't even want to think about it. I removed them for safety's sake. 

Cool old Campagnolo pedals. Very solid. 

This is the frame, just sitting here in my office. I'm not sure what I'm going to do to it next, I need a large hex key to adjust the handlebar stem (I'm hoping it isn't frozen). The handlebars will probably stay as is... 

the short list:

  1. 27 (630mm) inch front wheel
  2. Rear wheel needs to be trued, and cassette removed
  3. New chain
  4. Repaint? Gah.. that could get messy. 
  5. Saddle? Probably.. The seat looks hard and unforgiving. 
  6. 27 inch Tires.
  7. Single Speed freewheel
  8. Bartape or grips. 
  9. I've got some fenders I'd like to try out, but it needs tires first. duh. 
  10. Headset and stem adjustments
  11. Deep clean (though I would say this bike isn't that dirty, for a junk yard bike.)
  12. Brake adjustments
  13. Chainline adjustments

Too much stuff. I won't get around to it for a long long time. I'll keep my eyes open for some wheels though. 

3 comments:

Davy J said...

yay for poorly lit, out of focus cellphone pictures!!!

Daniel T said...

im still not sure what to do with my frame. its a bit heavy to be an effective road bike. i think i'll convert it. I just hope it doesn't get too expensive.

Davy J said...

dont think of it as "heavy" think of it as indestructable. I'd keep it original if you can. It will never be a carbon fiber racer... but that's ok.