Thursday, November 29, 2007

book

I've been reading a lot lately, for school and just because I'm literate. I've always liked to read, and can safely say that books are cool. I got this idea not too long ago to write a book. I don't want to write an epic novel of 2000 pages or more. Just a book, along the lines or style of the late Lloyd Alexander. I liked his books, they weren't too long, and they were fun to read. Along with the story I'd like to include some illustrations, which would make it more a novel/graphic novel and something in between.

In the graphic novel, Arzach by Moebius, the story is described through pictures without dialogue. In a way, I'd like to compliment the details of the story by including illustrations, and at the same time tell a story without dialogue. The reader will turn the page, see a picture and the story will pick up where the illustration left off on the next page.

A novel without dialogue?!! What?! Well.. there will be dialogue. I don't really want to draw the whole thing. I just think that some novels would be better if there were more illustrations included more often. Sometimes pictures can describe more that 200 pages of dense boring descriptions. Think about it.

How often have you read a book and the author describes an very detailed scene only to be frustrated by the limited capacity of your imagination? Or while reading a book you just keep saying, "They should make this into a movie!" That's the idea. Sometimes there are special illustrated versions of books that we've read over and over. There was an illustrated version of Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist that was very impressive. Coffee-table versions of books.

That's the idea... I have a feeling this might end up in the bottomless pit of unfinished projects though.

4 comments:

Natalie Kay said...

You have a thesis to start writing. No more projects until that one is done and you graduate.

Love you!

Davy J said...

Communist! Regardless of what you say I will continue with my evil plans.

Branden said...

Let's keep spousal disputes in private please...

I'm really trying to read more too, but I keep getting distracted (my most recent endeavour has been recording my records to mp3 format). So yeah, good thing you and Garit are reading more... you guys are an endless source of inspiration to me.

P.S. My record collection has become vast... you must see it.

nickolas said...

I just read The Alchemist a few weeks ago... I'm tempted to look for the illustrated version, but fear the wonderful images that my mind created might be compromised. Hrm.