Friday, August 11, 2006

books can kill

I haven't been doing much lately- besides working all the time. I've been reading some interesting books lately...

I picked up a book entitled: Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond. I saw this book at a bookstand in the Denver Airport as we were returning from our honeymoon. The book gives a run down of all the different variables that made Civilization possible from pre-history till the time of European global conquest. Everything from epidemic diseases, food production, and warfare is examined to explain the advantages certain societies had instead of others. From what I've read so far, this book makes understanding the why? and how? of world history a little easier. Oh, and he won the Pulitzer Prize for this book. Great read so far.

I picked up another book called The Fifth Mountain by Paulo Coelho. Author of the international bestseller The Alchemist, this book describes the flight of Elijah as he discovers his personal strengths as a prophet of God. I read this book a couple of years ago, and wanted to read it again. I'm a fan of the Old Testament and this book paints with vivid imagry a powerful story.
Another great find.

Books books books. On top of that I've been watching Reading Rainbow reruns on PBS. There is a small voice inside somewhere that keeps telling me to write a children's book someday. I like Reading Rainbow because it tries to prove that kids may actually like to go the local library or bookstore and read something instead of playing Nintendo till their brains have internal bleeding. That, and watching 80's kids cracks me up. I'm a big Levar Burton fan.

I think PBS left subliminal messages in my brain so I would return to watching their programming. They do that so I can force my kids to watch that stuff and make annual pledges of $50 or more so I can continue to watch quality programming.

I'm bored.

No comments: