Saturday, September 3, 2005

take the train

Public transportation has its advantages. For one, I'm not driving. With recent trends in gas prices sky rocketing, alternative modes of transportation is something that I've seriously been considering. There has got to be a way to get around paying tooth and nail for gasoline. Its hard on the starving student/slacker when everything seems to get more expensive at the same time. I think that we could all do ourselves a favor and give public transportation a chance, or at least figure out if something like that exists in the area. I'm not a major save the earth type person, I think I even litter a little bit, but riding the bus or train would cut down on the traffic and pollution that often destroys the air quality where I live. My area isn't a New York, I don't think that millions of people depend on getting on a subway everyday, but it allows for less traffic and congestion on the roadways. I think that is a good idea. I've lived in places were getting around was a hard thing to do, but people usually figure it out.

while in D.C. I took the subway around the capitol. I thought it was easy enough, though I'm told they can be quite dangerous at night. Watching all the buildings whiz by at blurring speeds was fun.

in the Dominican republic it is common to see Datsun two door taxis filled with people going from one place to another. For a few pesos you could get there and back. In Santo Domingo, I saw a family of four piled onto the back of a small 70cc Honda motocycle. Buses three times the length of a regular bus moved people around in the city. All the vehicles I rode in didn't have seat belts. Over there they have to be a little creative to get around.

hitching rides in the back of pickups and crammed in cars is the only way to travel. I always thought hitch hiking was a dangerous thing to do, but in the virgin islands, it is the only way to get around with out being totally ripped off by the taxi drivers there. You have to point your finger towards town, and after awhile someone will pick you up. I think sitting in the back of an old Honda with a sweaty old man and a German Shepard in my lap is one of the best rides I ever found.

the downside to public transportation is its often crowded, uncomfortable, smelly, and sometimes unpredictable. Getting around can be tricky if your destination is off the beaten path. I think most people are better off car pooling instead. Getting on the wrong bus or train can ruin anyone's day.
believe me, I know.

2 comments:

viperbux said...

Jeepney's are cool.

...actually, they're simply amazing.

Unknown said...

Lets be honest.. We miss getting around the way we did in the mish.. and being able to thunder wiz anywhere and everywhere!