Saturday, September 3, 2005

connected

I had a professor that claimed he had access ARPANET back in the 60's. The concept of connecting computers to exchange information was in its infancy, and this old collection of computers would someday become a web of billions of people today. Many take credit for its invention, but I believe, like most good ideas, that it was adopted universally as a way to make sharing information easier. I took this communications class about five years ago, back when most people had just figured out how to email each other, and chat rooms were a way for teenage boys to initiate conversations about sex. Companies began to broadcast domain names on commercials and radio. Everything is a dot.com. universities had banned the use of Napster from network computers because of bandwidth constraints. It was all free music, free movies, and not enough memory to store it.

this is an endless mess of information. I can't stand the junkmail, the pop-ups and spyware that clog the internet today. Apparently my computer can't get enough of it, and I cringe as I slowly watch it melt down and die. I never open emails with attachments, for fear of nuclear holocaust on my hard drive. The problem with a good idea is that someone always has to take it and twist it apart into the unrecognizable shell of what it once was. This was once a medium to communicate, now it is used to take advantage of others.

I can't believe this is all over one's and zero's.

No comments: