Thursday, March 6, 2008

cricket

I like cricket. When I lived in the British Virgin Islands I met a guy who was a stone cutter from St. Vincent. He played cricket, and we watched him and his squad play in the fields down where we lived in East End. When I was sitting in the laundromat there was always a cricket match on the television, which got me interested in the game. It isn't played widely in the US. Most people think cricket is confusing and complicated and they'd rather watch baseball. I don't know. I like that test matches last 5 days, and that the teams will play in the hot sun for 8 hours. I like that the bowlers huck a hard heavy ball and the batters use a sword-like bat to defend a "wicket". They not only have to hit the ball to score runs, but they are defending their wicket.

Cricket is a global sport, much like football (soccer). I don't think it has a place in the US. I don't
think it will ever be as popular as baseball or any of the other sports we watch over here.


6 comments:

Daniel T said...

LAGAAN!

Unknown said...

Cricket is really fun to play too! I wish it was popular here. Freaking sword bat! C'mon!

Davy J said...

LAGAAAAAN!

Idea: lets make a musical about civil unrest and tax evasion, by playing cricket!! HELLL YES.

Unknown said...

nice new look to the blog by the way.. i like the creepy staring down upon everyone who ventures into your blog you need a sound bite with an evil laugh or something.

JethRobyn said...

Jethro's cousin tried to teach us the rules of cricket last summer. It really didn't work our given the goals were overturned car seats.
They played cricket EVERYWHERE in New Zealand, I never really watched, I was more entertained by the rugby.

Davy J said...

New Zealand's test with England is going on right now.. poor England isn't doing so well.