Monday, November 13, 2006

sink

A couple days ago...

The smell from the kitchen wouldn't go away. Weeks of dirty dishes were piled up high in the sink and around the kitchen counter tops. Mold and bacteria were enjoying a unimaginable lifespan that made a furry metropolis from a saucepan of leftover sauce, or possibly soup or something. Aerosol spray that masked the odor was useless, it was quickly over powered by the smell of rotting dishes. I'm not sure how we neglected to do the dishes, but after work and school both of us were really tired and scrubbing putrid sticky food off of dishes was the last thing either of us wanted to do.

I got creative as our clean dish supply started to diminish. We bought paper plates and cups that replaced the dirty ones in the sink. Measuring bowls and spoons were used for cereal. Cups were used as bowls, and I rarely made trips to the kitchen. We started to eat out more. Ignoring the problem would make it disappear. My wife would gag and fake barf every time she stepped into the kitchen and vowed never to return again. I admit, either some poor animal had the misfortune of getting trapped under a pile of dishes in the sink, or the smell was either getting worse.

Scraping green fuzzy mold from anything will make your nose start to twitch. It was bittersweet to watch an entire bacteria colony get washed down the drain. I'm sure if I had a microscope I'd probably be able to see some cool looking mold formations, and all sorts of interesting stuff that makes my wife barf. Though the dishes are all clean now, I'm sure there will be more opportunities to watch bacterial worlds collide in the near future.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

haha.. hilarious.. you guys crack me up!? I still havnt been over there!