Thursday, September 27, 2007

tests

I took two very different tests yesterday from my history professors, and I think I did ok. Multiple choice tests are supposed to be easier than long essay questions or other methods of testing, but some instructors like to entrap their students in a quagmire of guilt (for not studying) and indecision because all the answers look correct, or wrong all together.

First test was like this:

What happened when... ?

a. Correct answer
b. Even more correct answer
c. Almost correct answer
d. a and b
e. All of the above

Even if you think you know the right one to pick, there is always that lingering doubt in your mind that there was an even more correct answer, or that all of them fit the criteria. By the end of the test that "all of the above" answer begins to look like a cheat button.

The other test was like this:

Who was .... ?
a. Most Incorrect
b. Almost Incorrect
c. Very Incorrect
d. Possibly Incorrect
e. None of the above

This test makes you doubt every answer by the end of the test, even if you were confident on a particular question.

So both tests worked the opposite sides of my brain as I tried to deduce what each of my professors expected the answer to be. Even if I had a Magic 8-ball there to guide me, it wouldn't have been easier.

I hate tests like that, but I did ok.

2 comments:

Natalie Kay said...

Lets wait to see your scores... I'll cross my fingers.

Davy J said...

Scores aren't important. I understand the material, I don't think that remebering so and so's name or what year occured what is that vital. I understand it why it was important though.