Sunday, October 2, 2005

not a lemon

I purchased a small truck from my friend when he left to move to the east coast. It was a truck that he had worked on with his father, not a good looking thing by any means. The body looks ok, I mean I don't care if the hood is a different color or the fact that there is a mean pink pinstripe running the length of both sides. Eh, whatever. The inside is clean, the tape player works. Everything mechanical sort of works. I've driven it around, and haven't noticed many bugs.

I was talking to a friend of mine. He owns a 4-runner and takes meticulous care of his vehicle. I had opened the hood of my truck and was examining the guts, looking for things I could do to make it run better. First thing I saw: no coolant, and the oil filter looked melted. The oil itself was blacker than coal. So... Yeah. There was much I could do.

I decided to work on the truck by myself. I don't have a great knowledge of mechanics, but I can tell what the different parts do and what they are hooked up to. I have the complete repair manual, and with step by step instruction was able to change my oil, and tear out my radiator for flushing. And clean the insides. Not bad I thought. Maybe it'll pass safety and emissions. Who knows.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah there is major differences between the 4 runner and the "pink stripped wonder truck" for ex. one was a remote that at a great distance can turn on the car and be defrosting the windshield with out even going out side.. where as the other.. doesnt even have a radio antana... I miss it though.. I dont have anything right now.. blast.