Saturday, August 27, 2005

end of the world?

A long time ago this kid I knew at school told me that the world was going to end at precisely 4:13 that Thursday afternoon. Kids have a way of being so sure of themselves. I asked where he found out this information (thinking that it would be news by now) and he said that his brother told him. Assuming that his brother was credible on the subject of the world blowing up or ending we all told him that he was full of crap. The day went by but I couldn't help but think about the impending doom that awaited us all at 4:13 that Thursday. Life continued as usual until that point, and then it was Thursday.

I had just come home from school, when I noticed the note I had left for myself on the refrigerator door that read, "end of the world, Thursday at 4:13." Determined to get a good seat, I stood there waiting by the edge of my bed staring into the digital face of my stereo alarm clock. The minutes seemed to creep by as the appointed hour emerged. My eyes began to water as the little green numbers slowly changed. I don't think I knew what was going to happen. Maybe I expected some sort of Hiroshima type flash followed by the destructive force of a nuclear weapon. I thought I should have gone out in a better way, maybe even doing something worthwhile while the end of the world erupted around me. No, I spent the last five minutes of planet earth staring an alarm clock radio ticking down my very existence. I don't know what happened next but I looked back at the clock and it read 4:16. I had missed the terrible end.
and what was worse is that I wasted my time looking at a clock when I could have been watching "eek the cat" or something else on television. Man, that kid was full of crap.

1 comment:

Natalie Kay said...

In my church we believe that the second coming is close. Well, when I was a little girl I would sometimes stare at the sky for hours and hours thinking that if I waited long enough He would come.

Ten years later, here I am often times thinking about what it would be like if He came today. I am not ready for Him to come.

I think it's very important to try to live your life everyday to be ready just in case.