Tuesday, July 31, 2007

bike stuff

So I've been riding my bike. Sort of. I've really just been messing with it for the last few weeks. Since we moved, I haven't been able to really ride that much, but I'm excited to try out some of the new routes around my neighborhood. I came to the realization that I don't understand why derailleurs never really work, and since I'm no expert, I will never really be able to make them function properly. So I'm converting my mountain bike into a single speed. I really just used a few gears anyway, and I'm not really planning on going to ride any trails or anything... Since my bike is more of a commuting machine it makes sense to just fix the thing and strip all the stupid parts that just get in the way. It'll make the dang thing lighter too. I'm going to ride the bike around campus this year (because of a super ridiculous parking situation), and making an ugly bike even uglier is the way to go.

Last night I tore the rear wheel apart. I took off all the nonessential parts (everything), and now all that's left is finding that "magic gear" ratio that will allow me to ride around comfortably. I'll need some new brake levers, but I'm sure there's some available in my parent's garage somewhere. After adjusting the chainline, everything should be good to go. I'd post some pictures, but I'm too lazy.

4 comments:

JethRobyn said...

So is your plan to haul the bike in your car, park a few blocks away and ride in?? I think thats a good idea. I hate parking at that school, and I just noticed (I have no idea where I have been) that big giant new building they built over the parking lot. I'm sure that makes life easier.

Davy J said...

yeah... since I'll be in the FREE lot, its like 1/2 a mile from where my classes are. They move the free lot farther and farther from campus every year. I figure I can save time by biking around campus and avoid crowded shuttles and people all together.

leslie jo said...

First... as for the parking situation... That is why the lot is FREE! You pay for what you get!

Second.. go to BYU or any other school where you have to walk a lot FARTHER and the buildings are NOT almost ALL connected. An then complain!

Third..Call your senator and tell them to stop giving the U all the money and then maybe they will pay for a 6 million parking structure!Oh and Finally before you say that the money should be in the tuition do know that parking is a self funded department they don't get a lick of your tuition. SO.. if you want that then that would be even more unfair because every student would have to pay for a full year permit even if they don't use or even want it.

Davy J said...

ohh waaa... cry me a river. I'd rather cut my eyes out and drink bleach through the ocular cavities than go to B(rainwash)YU. I'd have no problem with a parking structure (because parking is rediculous) or adding the cost to our tuition if I knew that was where the parking money went to. If the state legislature could get off their asses and actually do anything for education in this miserable state there wouldn't be a problem... but they don't. The stupid shuttle system at UVSC doesn't work, and has made me late to classes if I even consider taking it. So I walk. Charging everyone almost $100 to park is a privelege I'd rather not have. If I could, I would walk to school (like I did 2 years ago), but I can't. The students that go to BYU should walk. They're fat anyway.