Sunday, March 18, 2007

guitar 2


I've been building a guitar for the past few weeks. After getting everything together- it wasn't as bad as I had thought. There are a few issues that I need to work out, but nothing that bad

After the parts arrived in the mail, I marked out the design I wanted on the head stock and taped the neck pocket and fingerboard to keep it from getting painted. I figured that a Strat headstock would be different for a Telecaster style guitar.

I cut the headstock design with a coping saw and sanded it smooth. Not so bad for someone as uncoordinated as me.

I wanted this guitar to be white, and a tortoise shell pickguard would really make it stand out.

I started by priming the wood with some BIN primer. After sanding it down to something level, I sprayed the Olympic White color. After numerous coats and once the can was empty, it didn't look so bad. It isn't a perfect paint job, nor is it a really thick layer of paint. I want to relic this guitar later so I'm not too concerned with the getting the finish that perfect. I had some rough spots, and orange peel- but most of it sanded down.

I had to wait to clear coat the guitar because of bad humid weather- but everything went on ok. I let the lacquer harden for about a week. Like I said before, it isn't a perfect job, but I think it will look good with a relic look.

1 comment:

Davy J said...

not sure why my pictures died. I'll update the blog later. bah.